Supporting Employment for People with Disabilities
The Technology@Work Program is designed to support people with disabilities who have workplace barriers in British Columbia who require Assistive Technology for employment or volunteer activities.
If you are an employer, please visit our Technology@Work Employer Services page.
- Work with you and your employer to find the best solution to remove a barrier for you in the workplace
- Help you determine the Assistive Technology equipment, products, and services that will allow you to better perform your job tasks
- Provide training, if required
- Help to navigate you to other services and supports in the community to assist you in your employment situation
- Provide you with the latest information about workplace Assistive Technology from our Resource Centre
You must have a work related barrier due to a disability or functional limitation which can be addressed by Assistive Technology. This may also include barriers related to traveling to and from the workplace. You must be a resident of and be legally entitled to work in British Columbia; be 16 years of age or older; currently be employed, self-employed, volunteering, or have a confirmed job offer. WorkBC clients and public sector employees are not eligible.
Disability and Work:
In order to be eligible, your disability must be affecting your ability to:
- do your job as an employee or in a self-employed position
- begin a job that you have been offered
- carry out a designated volunteer position
- get to and from the workplace
You might not qualify for the Technology@Work program if you are:
- Looking for work but do not have a specific job offer
- Requiring assistive technology that is primarily for personal use
- Able to obtain services through a Public Sector Organization
- Are actively case managed by a WorkBC service provider
If you fall under one of these categories, contact us and we can help to direct you to another organization in the community that can help you.
Eligible Products and Services:
For a product or service to be eligible for full or partial funding through the Technology@Work Program it must be an assistive aid or device that will help to overcome a disability related barrier:
- in the workplace, or
- in travelling to the workplace
Types of technology that may be funded through this Program include:
- Assistive devices, equipment and technology
- Communication and hearing devices
- Ergonomic supports and other individualized devices
- Personal attendant care services related to work (for a maximum of 4 weeks)
- Interpreting and captioning services (for a maximum of 4 weeks)
- Workplace access and modification
Items that are not funded through this Program include:
- Medical treatments and therapies
- Items that are primarily for personal use
- Employment case management supports (e.g. job coaching, employment and skills training, wage subsidies, etc.)
- Non-employment and non-volunteer related supports and services
If you are requiring hearing related devices or peripherals other than hearing instruments (hearing aids) please submit the following:
- A completed Client Intake Application Form to Technology@Work. Individuals must review the Eligibility Criteria before submitting the Client Intake Application Form to ensure that they are eligible for the Technology@Work program.
Please note, applying for the Technology@Work Program does not imply acceptance into the program. Further, submission of an Application Form, Acknowledgement of an Application Form and Tentative Acceptance into the Technology@Work program does not guarantee that funding will be provided. Technology@Work will not accept liability for equipment that is provided to Individuals before their eligibility has been confirmed by a Technology@Work Assistive Technology Specialist. Applicants will be informed if they are approved for funding when the Intake process and the Needs Determination process are complete.
Please view the Technology@Work issues resolution procedures.
Technology@Work is able to service individuals in all regions of British Columbia. For information on how to apply please contact us at:
Head Office and Resource Centre:
400 – 3999 Henning Drive
Burnaby, BC V5C 6P9
Toll Free 1.844.453.5506
Download our Client Intake Application Form here.
For information about this program in French, please visit our Technology@Work French language page (new window).