Distance Computer Comfort
Learn How to Use Your Computer, Tablet, or Smartphone in a Virtual Classroom
If you have a disability, devices like computers and smartphones can open many doors—the skills to use these devices can greatly increase your independence, your access to resources, and connections with your family and friends.
The Distance Computer Comfort program offers free tutoring through a virtual classroom. Without even having to leave your house, you can learn how to use your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
You Qualify If:
- You have a physical or sensory disability
- You are able to communicate independently (verbally or augmented)
What We Offer:
- Free computer, tablet, and smartphone skills tutoring
- Lessons accessible from home, available anywhere in Canada
- Learning at your pace, with lesson plans based on your needs
- A comfortable and supportive learning environment
- Ongoing technical support
How It Works
You will be matched with a tutor to work, once a week for up to two hours, on your own self-determined goals. You can learn to use:
- Basic computer skills (Windows and Mac)
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Android (smartphone, tablet) and Apple (iPhone, iPad) devices and related apps
- Internet, including social networking (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Assistive Technology programs such as screen readers (JAWS), screen magnification (ZoomText), and dictation (Dragon)
Looking to Volunteer?
Working one-on-one with Distance Computer Comfort participants as a tutor through online lessons, you will help participants achieve greater independence and access. You will make it possible for participants to learn at their own pace and provide them with the guidance they need to reach their goals. The best part is you don’t even have to leave your home to volunteer.
If you are located in Canada and would like to volunteer for our Distance Computer Comfort program, please complete this volunteer form. ** Please note: we currently have a volunteer wait list. If you would like to be added to our wait list, please feel free to complete our volunteer form.
Find out more about:
Our volunteer opportunities
Hear from Program Participants:
“It’s enhanced my ability to communicate via computer, and allowed me to help my wife, answering her questions on how to use Zoom… It gave me the knowledge that I was able to pass along and make things better – not only for myself, but my family too.”
“What I enjoyed about taking Distance Computer Comfort classes was the fact that I got to apply what I learned in real time and in real life situations… The individualized attention was great!