Full Time Position: Assistive Technology Trainer,
Neil Squire Society, Burnaby, BC
The Neil Squire Society uses technology to empower people with disabilities. Our programs and services connect people with disabilities to appropriate technology, develop their skills, and connect participants to employment, education or other community engagement. Neil Squire Society is an equal opportunity employer. Our mission statement focuses on the empowerment of people with disabilities. Preference will be given to the most experienced candidate.
Assistive Technology Trainer will work directly with people with disabilities virtually and in-person. They will support the delivery of programs focused on digital technology skills, including digital literacy, assistive technology and adaptive access. This position is full time, Monday through Friday (8:30 am – 4:30 pm).
- Train and support clients on using assistive technology for educational and job-related purposes
- Create lesson plans and training manuals for the clients
- Assist with equipment and software set up (virtual / in person)
- Assisting occupational therapists during assessments and equipment trials
- Complete site visits for equipment set up and training as needed
- Maintaining the assistive technology equipment in the Solutions Assistive Technology Lab
- Research and experiment with new technology
- Create assistive technology content and resources
- Report to and maintain regular communication with the Distance Training Coordinator, Occupational Therapists, Assistive Technology Specialists including a monthly report of activities
- Maintaining training schedules, client records, utilizing a case management system
- Compile training reports
- Perform additional duties as may be assigned
Knowledge and Skills:
- Facilitation, teaching, or tutoring experience
- Self-motivated and interested in working with adults with disabilities
- Demonstrate creativity, flexibility and problem-solving skills in assigned responsibilities
- Familiarity with Windows/Mac, Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams), and internet technologies
- Experience with mobile devices (iOS and Android), including an exposure to accessibility features, such as Speech Recognition, Screen Magnifier/Readers, is desirable
- Experience with assistive technology devices and software would be an asset, such as speech recognition software or low vision software
- Willingness to learn online learning platforms, and assistive technology software
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Strong written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel for equipment set-up
Full time; Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm; however, occasional weekend or evening work may be required.
As soon as possible.
This position is a combination of working from the Neil Squire Burnaby office and remote work from home.
Neil Squire Society
400 – 3999 Henning Drive
Burnaby, BC V5C 6P9
Please send your resume and cover letter to Gordon Watt – firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Assistive Technology Trainer
October 25, 2021
We offer competitive salary with benefits, opportunities for participation in conferences and continuing education.