Title: Education Assistant
Employer: Neil Squire Society
The Neil Squire Society uses technology to empower people with physical disabilities. Our programs and services connect people with disabilities to appropriate technology, develop their skills, and then connect participants to employment, education or other community engagement.
The Education Assistant will work directly with people with physical disabilities in our classrooms and programs. They will support the delivery of programs focused on computer skills and digital literacy, assistive technology and adaptive access, wellness and healthy living lessons, and employment and career development activities.
As part of our mission statement and the funding agreement with the government, priority will be given to students that have a disability.
Education Assistant Responsibilities:
- Assist participants with computer learning activities;
- Assist in training and supporting clients on using assistive technology for educational and job-related purposes.
- Answer participant’s questions as needed;
- Review covered material regularly;
- Monitor participant’s progress and inform program coordinator/instructor;
- Report to and maintain regular communication with the Program Coordinator, including a monthly report of activities.
- Report all difficulties to the Program Coordinator and program staff.
- Assist with administrative duties, communications and community outreach.
- Perform additional duties as may be assigned.
Eligibility for Position:
As funding is partially provided through Canada Summer Jobs, the successful candidate must be:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- Was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- Intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- Is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program;
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Foreign students are not eligible) and;
- Is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
Victoria Disability Resource Center
817 A Fort St
Victoria, BC V8W 1H6
Dates: May 9, 2015 – August 17, 2015
Pay: $11.50 an hour, 35 hours a week.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Wendy Cox, email@example.com
Subject: Summer Jobs Application – Education Assistant
Application Deadline: 5/1/2016