Position: Education Assistant
Neil Squire Society, Victoria, BC
Neil Squire Society is a Canadian national not-for-profit organization that empowers Canadians with disabilities through the use of computer-based assistive technologies, research and development, and various employment programs. Headquartered in Burnaby, BC, the Neil Squire Society is presently hiring for their Victoria, BC, office under their Canada Summer Jobs Program, funded by Employment Skills Development Canada.
The Education Assistant will work directly with people with disabilities in a classroom setting. They will support the delivery of programs focused on computer skills, digital literacy, assistive technology and adaptive access, wellness and healthy living lessons, and employment and career development activities.
Education Assistant Responsibilities:
- Assist participants with computer learning and career development activities;
- Assist in training and supporting clients on using assistive technology for educational and job-related purposes.
- Answer participant’s questions as needed;
- Review covered material regularly;
- Monitor participant’s progress and provide feedback to Program Coordinator/Instructor;
- Support the organization and its programs by writing success stories, articles and communicating with external stakeholders under the direction of program staff.
- Report to and maintain regular communication with the Program Coordinator, including providing a monthly report of activities.
- Report all difficulties to the Program Coordinator and program staff.
- Assist with administrative duties, communications, and community outreach.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
To be eligible for this position, the successful applicant:
- Is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- Is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and
- Is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations. International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
- Work a minimum of 30 hours a week while in the program for 9 weeks (or 35 hours per week for 8 weeks)
*International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
- Work Location: Victoria Disability Resource Center, 817A Fort St, Victoria, BC V8W 1H6
- Start Date: Ideally May 15, 2019 (8-9 weeks duration)
- Pay: $15.50 per hour (30-35 hours per week)
- Posting Closing Date: ASAP
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Summer Jobs Application – Education Assistant.